What is AAT?
The AAT certification is the leading professional qualification for those entering the accounting industry. You can find general details about AAT on this page, and information about AAT Level 2 below…
AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate
This is the first level of the AAT qualification. It is the starting point for those people with limited, or even no accounts knowledge. The AAT Level 2 Certificate will equip you for an entry level role in an Accounting or Finance department.
When completing this level you will have a greater understanding of manual and computerised accounts and will know how to use them in a real life scenario.
AAT Level 2 Syllabus (AQ2016)
The AAT Level 2 qualification has a total qualification time of 340 hours. This is a measure of how long it takes to complete the course, and this number includes the guided learning hours as well as independent learning.
The AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting covers the following accountancy topics:
- Understand financial transactions within a bookkeeping system
- Process customer transactions
- Process supplier transactions
- Process receipts and payments
- Process transactions through the ledgers to the trial balance
- Understand payment methods
- Understand controls in a bookkeeping system
- Use control accounts
- Use the journal
- Reconcile a bank statement with the cash book
Elements of costing
- Understand the cost recording system within an organisation
- Use cost recording techniques
- Provide information on actual and budgeted costs and income
Using accounting software
- Set up accounting software
- Process sales and purchases transactions
- Process bank and cash transactions
- Perform period end routine tasks
- Produce reports
Work effectively in finance
- Understand the finance function within an organisation
- Use personal skills development in finance
- Produce work effectively
- Understand corporate social responsibility (CSR), ethics and sustainability within organisations
Who Should Study AAT Level 2?
This level of AAT is perfect for those who are at the very start of their accountancy career, or have minimal accounting experience. This will qualify you for a variety of positions in accounts departments and provide you with a pathway or career progression.
There is no need for professional or academic experience to enrol on AAT Level 2, but it is important that you have the ability to deal with numbers and communications skills, besides of course, an interest to learn how business works.
If you are not sure which AAT level is the right one for you, then complete the AAT Skillcheck. This is a short 30 minutes online test which will tell you the level best suited to you.
Once you complete the Foundation Certificate, you could continue to study the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting.